Wednesday 2 May 2012

New Beginnings

Thought I would start this blog marking a new chapter of my life. Up until a year and a half ago my life revolved around being a teacher. It is the best job in the world and invloves all my passions. Creativity, acting and performing.

This all changed when my little cherub came along and changed life as I knew it. He is the biggest gift of all but to be honest even though I wouldnt change him for the world he has shock my universe to the core and I have found myself on the new path of housewife.

Having time at home has allowed me to reflect on my past experiences as a teacher and why I love it so much.

As a child I always imagined teachers as a entirely different species and have found that it some this has transfered to adult hood. I want this blog to give you a tongue in cheek insight into my experiences as a teacher and challege the social stereotypes of our species.

Here is a sample of the sorts of things I wanted to share


There is something about the title of teacher that makes you think of the greasy haired maths teacher that reeks of coffee and crusty old books. As a younger teacher I aspire to not conform to the social stereotypes. However my love of crochet and Shakespeare is not helping with my "sick" teacher title.

Incase you have not already guessed "sick" means good according to the children of today.

Usually this word fills teachers with dread! There is nothing like a pile of that weird saw dust stuff to dampen the day and make you think about why you didn't just do a 9-5 like your friends.

Oh yeah that reminds me, teachers work 9-3 don't they?

There is nothing like this statement to create snarles and twitches in a staff room. Seriously don't teachers just play all day and go home at home time? Not forgetting the most famous quote of all "all those long holidays"

First of all I am in school whilst your still reading your morning paper at 7.30am.
Planning, preparation and marking all need to be done. There are averagely 4-5 lessons a day with 30 pieces of work that need to be marked! You don't have to be a level 5 in maths (above average year 6 says result) to work out that is a lot of marking.
My lunch break is 45 minutes 15 spent keeping children in, helping with work, lecturing and waiting for children to achieve the lesson objective. 10 minutes answering random questions in the corridor. "miss what's you real name?" " do you like cats miss" who is god? The list is endless.
5 minutes spent in the heads office talking about disruptive behaviour. 10 minutes spent writing a report on disruptive behaviour.
15 minutes marking and somehow we need to fit in our lunch break and call back mrs T about why little johnny was kept in yesterday lunchtime.
Do you get the idea now? Teachers are busy people. Nowhere there does it mention playing, talking of tea drinking.

Don't get me wrong I love my job how can you not?
I plan to share with you some of the weird and wonderful expereinces I have had as a teacher and Im sure there are many more to come.

Thank you for reading my blog

No comments:

Post a Comment